What Countries Does Canada Have A Social Security Agreement With

India and Canada, now have a social security agreement since August 2015. Donna – There is no “headdress” as such, but the United States has what is called the “Wind Elimination Commission,” which will reduce your SS by some of what you receive from CPC. Here`s a link with more details: www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/wep.html Hello, I was born in Canada, and I worked there (mostly for the Canadian government) until I was 49, then teleworked in the United States for another 7 years. I am once lived and married to an American citizen. I am almost 65 years old and I have been laid off from my job where I started working here. I`m just over 4 quarters for us SS. I plan to use the CPC, but I would support my OAS (as I was still working and I had a Canadian gov`t pension, I thought I was doing too much to claim the OAS), but now that I`m fired from my job in the U.S., I`m not sure what I should do. I don`t know if I can take advantage of some of my Canadian benefits to make up for the quarters I miss (and still get in SS) and whether it affects my Canadian CPP or OAS benefits. Not sure either that I can have Medicare here because I don`t have enough quarters, even though I`m married to an American citizen over 65.

I don`t want to lose any of the benefits for which I am qualified…. Hello Serge – There is certainly no 50% rule for the OAS. First, you should determine when you have decided in your mind to make Canada your permanent home, and then try to provide documentation that supports that date/decision. ARE DECIDED to reach an agreement to that end, and I`m barely within my time frame, and tell the government that I worked on and off Asia after 2000, although returned to Canada for a few years within that time frame. Under these agreements, Australia equates social security periods/stays in these countries with periods of Australian residence in order to meet minimum qualification periods for Australian pensions. In other countries, periods of Australian working life are generally counted as social security periods to meet their minimum payment periods. Typically, each country pays a partial pension to a person who has lived in both countries. Hello Joe – The agreement allows you to meet the 20-year requirement for OAA payment outside of Canada, but the amount of your OAS is based solely on residence in Canada, so it is 15/40th out of $600 -$225 per month. My question relates to the definition of legal residence when applying for an OAS.

She ended her legal residence when she returned to Hong Kong with her son, or when they sold their home in Toronto, or when she broke up with her husband or when they were divorced. This is important for it to be able to accurately calculate whether it is completing the 10 years of legal residency required in Canada to collect the OAS and possibly GIS. All CPP and OAS applications have a question that invites you to list any other country in which you have lived or worked. If you do not meet the minimum eligibility requirements of the CPC or OAS based solely on your Canadian contribution/residence, your application will be considered as part of an international agreement that may apply to you. I know the U.S. has a windfall elimination program that will reduce your SS if you receive a few CPCs, but I think that only applies if you have less than 30 years of contribution to the SS. Even if your SS is reduced by the WFP, I expect you will always be better at getting the CPC. I was born in 1965 and grew up in Canada. I have my diplomas (undergrad und Recht) in Canada. I moved to the United States in 2000 (I was 35 years old). To my knowledge, I do not have the “20 years after 18 years” conditions to be able to claim the OAS.

But I think there is a provision in the agreement between the United States and Canada, which is that it will count my years in the United States so that I can meet the 20-year requirement.